The Status of Design. Re Fukushima Incident - Quick thought

Just posted a reply and I thought I should put it here. The debate about what we should do following the aftermath of the Fukushima Nuclear accident prompted me to write about leadership in design. Whatever design fields they are: hardcore engineering design to the strategy planning etc, I often feel that the neglection of listening plays a killing role. The poster asked about the extent of  delegation from the people.I thought the people should play the main role. Surely many are not professionals but they are certainly important voices to listen to; simply because they will be experiencing the products/services first hand. Here's what I wrote:

"I think this problem sounds very much like in comparison to what kind of leaders we pick to govern policies that will effect the general public. Politics can affect decisions and surely we cannot blame the actions of certain people especially if they are merely taking orders. Delegation can be a problem. I wonder if I am right to say that picking the right leaders at every level of the system be the most fundamental aspect? I never see the system itself having a flaw and sometimes I see certain fact told analysis of what is right / wrong is a  fallacy, merely to overthrow a certain 'rule'.

People demomstrate against GM foods, nuclear etc for the basic reason that they have seen and experienced the impact of these new designs in food and products. I see them as 'designers' of products and services in their own cultural right. They are clearly different from most of us, in terms of thinking and methodologies, but they have their belief systems. So I suppose the importance here is to decide who should we believe in and what we do?

I often feel that many leaders fail to listen. Few leaders genuinely hear the voices of the people.The greatest harmony comes from a balance. That balance comes from the people and the leaders. Problems arises because of the failure to communicate with understanding; which renders insustainability.

The staus of design would be one that leads via the voices of the people. The very people who will be experience the impacts of 'designed' goods and services. They used to say that hardcore designs like engineering plays the leading role. I'd say all forms of designs should first obey the laws of nature and the voices of the people.


Way past bedtime. I have been posting to forums around bedtime for last decade. Perhaps its the solitude in the middle of the night that I enjoy reading debates, and perhaps post something that sometimes not palatable on some people's plate. But at the bare minimum, I mean well.

Night all!

Karen Fu"

Posted via email from Daring to Posterous-ly Change

0 comments: