I am a merry person and am definitely a very curious person by nature. Museums are always on my itinery wherever I go. Just this past faithful Monday I decided to pop into the museum's 3rd day of opening right in the hot afternoon. It was a great cheery day and I definitely wanted  to view the latest exhibits at the newest museum down Marina Bay.

All was well in general and I had a great time learning about the history of various events-- from Genghis Khan, Silk Road and the Tang treasures; apart from the design of displays and interactive media. It was all fun and in fact there was a couple of things I thought it was 'too fun'. Let me try to explain:

I am very impressed by the displays. There are truly world-class visuals with impressive interactive media designs. I especially enjoy the interactive table at the Silk Road exhibition that shows items on a highly illuminated map; and some of the in wall panel displays that allow us to test our mental agilities. What I found a little amusing were the camels. I have seen camels before but I have never seen any spieces like the ones on display at the entrance. Especially the stream of very curly hair running from the top of the camels' heads along the back of the animals' bodies. Its too artificial and almost too fashionable looking. It somewhat reminds me of the African hair-style and more likely they reminded me of star wars----the 4 legged creature Eopie; or the 2-legged creature whose name I've forgotten at this point of time.  I think they look a little too futuristic to be like the arabian camel or other different hybrids of camels around at the moment. Then again, I was trying to figure out if I have missed any camel species that look like that. Art-wise, they are fantastic as they are highly imaginative and the skills for making them are genuinely top of the class. However, historically-wise they look a little odd. The camels uncanningly have a human look. (see figure below)


notice the hair-do and the face.


notice the hair growth on the camel.


After the camel ride into the wonder of hybrids, I romped to the display of fruits and veggies along the silk road in the other show area. I took a general picture of the display (see picture below)


and spotted something on the right of the picture. Then I took a closer look. (see picture below).



Out of sheer curosity, I ultimately took a third pic of the object of speculation in different perspectives. (see picture below).


[your thought may be as good as mine...]


 finally I came to a conclusion that it resembles visually,metaphorically mimicking the physical form of something not too nice. I wanted to get a second opinion so I amicably reported this to their on-duty museum helpers and they shared the same view.I told them I saw something not too pleasant and it was all about '2 apples and 1 banana'. They were amused by it and went to see it for themselves. One of them took a pic and claimed she was going to report it up. I think they should have reported up to their boss by now. The alignment of those 3 innocent fruits appear to be the work of  the display artist.
I love the architecture. And I really like the lotus pond. Moshe Safdie's sketches are cool with imaginative wonders of neat funcational solutions. The interior architecture of the building has a lovely concept of the lotus flower intertwined with the idea of a lovely welcoming hand. The centre of the building is designed to collect rain water that goes to a recycling system that supplies water to the rest rooms. What I later learnt was that the surface of the building was treated with glass fiber reinforced polymer, which is unusual. I was very happy to be enclosed by this mega structure that has a cool human feel to it.


I was actually expecting more as I have been to other museums around the world too. I was hoping to see more on the top floor about science and the arts. To me, I think it was a little too little. Those info could have been easily learnt online at different websites. If anyone takes the time and the money to visit a museum, one expects to see physical artefacts that we cannot see at most places anywhere in the world. I also find a few of the artefacts in the Genghis Khan puzzling. I had not have the time to scrutinise the details but I have the memory that I was wondering if the description of the artefact was off or the tablet was off. How did the 12-13th century tablet be using seemingly modern script for that time era was beyond me. I am not a historian so I cannot pinpoint in precise detail where it is off. But on first general look, especially from the script, I was surprised it was dated in the 12-13th century. Maybe someone could enlighten me.

In any case, I had a great time. I spent a few good hours to learn about display design, interactive design, history, strategy, innovation, science and humanity. The various exhibits gave me insights of the human mind that has been both ingenious, kind, mean as well as sheer cruelty.The changes we need in different times show that wrong changes can kill a dynasty. It also teaches us that the right kind of thought will save our spieces and our human race. The future is in our decision making and we should never let history repeat the treachery that we had before.
Hope the museum would take this in good candour.


After the entire museum visit, I came out seeing a brilliant lotus flower floating on a tranquil man made pond. It is serene, pure and upright. And I hope the welcoming hand of Singapore will bring in just that --- pure, upright spirit with integrity.


As the Chinese saying goes, '莲花淤 泥不染' -- the lotus flower, though grows in mud, never gets stained. -- Karen Fu


0 comments: