Neri Oxman: On Designing Form

Top of the class intellectual presentation that revolves around fundamentally about biomimicry. The talk is successfully informative with new findings but I was and still am wondering how the computational aspects would turn out forms in a more creative way. She cited a critical point that nature is a grand materials engineer, and that creative human intervention could patch up what nature lacks and give new forms. I enjoy very much reading into the presentation on an academic level and that stimulated a lot of thinking. But somehow I feel she sunk too much in depth on materials and the computational process. Correct me if I'm wrong. But that is the impression I have.

Her detailed talk on how function is validated via computational method to invent form is a very thought provoking idea. I often feel that nature is unique and trying to computate every natural aspect of it is still almost impossible as its more complex than said. Nature is my view consists not only the physical but also the metaphysical aspects in which no computer can calculate the values. In that sense, I doubt the efficiency. The talk deals with how to think in a natural way to design multifuncational products, which is the trend now in product design. Many more products are focusing on multi functional ideas via engineering. The talk has great aspirations that I really like. It defines nature and how we could design in a sustainable way with respect to what great masters had set in; and how advanced technology in this centuray could value add these ideas. The introduction to interesting materials makes this video very note worthy albeit with pending questions on the efficiency of this thinking methodolgy. I think its a little on the linear aspect.

My modest two cents for the evening.

Posted via web from Daring to Posterous-ly Change

0 comments: